Sunday 19 June 2011

Triggering CAS Rainbows!

Hello!

Someone is turning 21. . . and I'm almost 100% sure he doesn't read my blog, so I'm safe to share with you here before I actually deliver the card. LOL!  You really start to notice time passing quickly when those cute little toddlers are suddenly huge young men and making their own way in the world. :-)  To be honest, my nephew has been towering over me for many, many years now, but each time I see him it takes me by surprise again.


I just can't resist a rainbow, can you?  I love rainbows!  So when I saw the Tuesday Trigger over at Moxie Fab World this week, I already had my thinking cap on. THEN CAS-ual Fridays announced that this week for CFC#7 we are working on Colour Blocking and my idea came to life!

Tuesday Trigger is this beautiful Rainbow Bright picture:


My idea was very simple, but it actually turned out to be a little tricky in the execution.  This is the first time I've tried colour blocking with diagonal stripes of cardstock.  I have done quilting before, but I expect quilting to be a little tricky with card.  I didn't think stripes would be tricky!  And then lining everything up on the card with diagonal stripes was challenging, the diagonals create an optical illusion of everything else being off square (I had to pull the ruler out!).  Also, I wanted to use wooden/chipboard numbering, but the only ones I could find were pale pastels.  I had a very messy night dyeing these numbers black and then glossing them up, but the end result was definitely worth it.

Here is my entry:
Aren't those colours wonderful?

I used Stampin' Up! Cardstock: Night of Navy, Real Red, Only Orange, Yoyo Yellow, Green Galore, Tempting Turquoise, Lovely Lilac, Whisper White
The sentiment is black embossed Curly Cute
The 21 is dyed with Basic Black and the glossed up with Crystal Effects

So what do you think? 

Michelle
xxx

P.S. I want to send out a very big THANK YOU to all of you who have been regularly visiting and leaving comments lately.  You really make my day, and I appreciate all of your feedback.  Part of the joy of card-making is the sharing of the end result, and sharing with my fellow card-makers is the icing on the cake!

20 comments:

Jen W. said...

Awesome! Love those diagonal stripes and that glossy 21!

Annette Witherspoon ♥ said...

I like this. The black background really makes the colors pop!

Cassandra said...

Love the way this turned out, the colours really set off the glossy 21 which is definitely worth the effort. I particularly like that you matted it onto navy, so much more interesting than black.

Anne Tussing said...

Gorgeous card! Those stripes look tricky to me!! Yes, I LOVE those colors. I was so sad when Stampin' UP retired quite a few of them.

Anonymous said...

Oh! I love your take on the trigger too, Michelle!! Very bold and striking!! Gorgeous!

Lisa Somerville said...

Wonderful take on the trigger, great color blocking!

Michele Gross said...

LOVE it! The diagonal blocks look fantastic and such a bold design! Wonderful job and I'm so glad you played with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

Jenny said...

Brilliant idea and brilliant colours. Love the black edge to your text boxes,looks so neat against the colours:)
Jenny x

Hedgehog Reader said...

Beautiful, bright, bold -
what a great CAS design! :O)

Wishcraft said...

Ooh love it! Great design and love the bright colours :o) Lisa x

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Michelle! Thanks for linking this up to this week's Tuesday Trigger in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

Sarah said...

Totally digging your slanted stripes!

Alice said...

wow! fabulous take on the trigger! super card!

Emily Leiphart said...

Such a fabulous card for your nephew! I love the rainbow stripes and the glossy 21.

Jessi Fogan said...

Argh! A ruler? The horror :) I am a total eyeballer myself, but the stripes would have done me in! It looks like perfection from here. What a great 21st card - even though the numbers were a pain, they certainly do oomph the card just the right amount :)

Alberta said...

Bright and cheerful! Great layout.

Karolyn at Paper Therapy said...

Super fun!! Love the bright colors against the black card base! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays. Looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful work!

Unknown said...

awesome card!!! really fabulous!!

Laura Davis said...

Such a cute card!
Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!
Laura

C said...

I feel a CASE coming on...this is awesome!